Good day everyone and welcome to June. I’m saying that even though it’s not June when I’m writing this, but as we’re going to be away on vacation, through the miracle of technology I can write it a week early and schedule distribution for the future.
May was certainly an odd month with some great weather and also some almost-freezing nights which meant that we had to make sure our new plantings were protected.
Terence and I planned a drive for Saturday (20th) but the rains decided to come so we delayed until Sunday afternoon which probably cost us half of our number. It ended up being a lovely afternoon for a top-down spin … as you can see from the teamwork of Gary and Pam Craig preparing for the off (don’t fold on the window Pam!).
We travelled on a McKillen-inspired circular route starting in Campbellville with lunch at the Trail Eatery and traversed a Flamborough-Puslinch Circuit before returning to Campbellville. My door-to-door mileage was about 80 miles and the TR certainly enjoyed the workout. There were 8 Triumphs on the run – 3 TR6s, 2 Stags, 1 Spitfire, 1 TR3A and a TR250. A good time was had by all.
Terence had a problem with a non-charging issue on his Stag and had to leave us early … he managed to get home without any problems and last time we spoke he was diagnosing the issue.
By the time you receive this Spring Fling will have been and gone as well as Derek’s central drive, and the Thornhill Cruisers Opening Night Event. Let’s hope the weather cooperated!
There are a number of events planned for this month which are detailed in our TTC Events Calendar but in summary:
- The BritishInvasion, Locust Lane Estate Winery, Beamsville – 3rd June.
- The Vintage & Classic Euro Car Tour & Show, Canandaigua, NY – 10th June.
- All British Classic & Antique Car Show, Caledon – 10th June.
- Circumnavigation of Georgian Bay – 11th to 14th June. Some 27 Triumphs are signed-up for this epic trip organized by Clive and Jacquelynne Huizinga. Can’t wait!
- VARAC Vintage Grand Prix, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park – 15th to 18th June.
- Session for Street Cars at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park – 15th June.
- Field of Dream Car Show, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park – 18th June.
- Gravenhurst Car Show -17th June
- Toronto Triumph Club BBQ is back! To be held on the afternoon of Saturday 24th June (you should have received an invitation already) at Terence’s farm located close to Rockwood.
To allow you to plan ahead, in July there are a couple of car shows on the schedule:
- Brits-in-the-Park, Lindsay, ON. – 16th July. This year’s showcase is the iconic Classic Mini. There will be draw prizes and over 40 awards, including Car of the Year and Best in Show. There will also be a beer tent and a delicious food menu, along with an array of vendors offering an assortment of British goods.
- Brits-on-the-Lake, Port Perry, Ontario – 30th July. Making a comeback after a three-year absence the show attracts thousands of onlookers and British car fans who come out to see the gleaming paintwork and chrome of the assembled cars. Downtown Port Perry is lined with historic brickwork buildings and filled with boutique-style stores and popular eateries.
The British Car Day team are busy preparing for this year’s event and I wanted to give you an update on where are at with planning the 100th Anniversary of Triumph Cars. To date we have 27 local Triumphs identified for the display which will give us an excellent showing of our favourite cars dating from 1937 to 1981. I’m still trying to locate some cars including a TR3 built between 1956 & 1958 and a TR3B built in 1962. If you have one of these Triumphs, or know somebody who does please drop me a line. Thanks!
Do hope I’ll see you out and about over the next couple of months … it’s always a challenge to cram a bunch of car activities into a short summer window. As always, if you have any questions or comments on our club, please drop me a line.
President, Toronto Triumph Club